Shalby – Global Leader in TKR
A visionary and a founder of quality health services establishments like Shalby, Dr. Vikram Shah's name is synonymous with Knee replacement Surgery. Inventor of OS needle used by orthopedic surgeons worldwide, Dr Shah along with his team has performed over 40,000 joint replacements. Presently they perform more than 300 primary joint replacement and 7-8 revision joint replacement surgeries every month. Dr. Shah brought laminar air flow and body exhaust systems in the OT to perform joint replacement surgery in India and established the first Indian hospital with a Class 100 operation theater making knee replacement surgeries much more safe and successful.
His acclaims include :
- He is known across the globe among the medical fraternity for developing the 'OS Needle', a breakthrough technology which greatly reduced the time required in a joint replacement.
- 'B C Roy International Award' 2003, for his work in Joint Replacement Surgery.
- Felicitation by the Ahmedabad Medical Association at its 103rd annual meeting in Ahmedabad for outstanding work in the field of joint replacement!
- The first and only Indian doctor to be on the board of designers of Zimmer Inc., U.S.A., world leaders in producing artificial human prostheses.
- He pioneered in bringing the innovative technique of '0'(Zero) technique in TKR surgery.
What is Knee Replacement ? (Knee Arthroplasty pronounced as ARTH-ro-plas-tee)
In simple terms, Knee replacement is a surgical procedure most often performed to relieve the pain and disability and restricted mobility arising out of degenerative arthritis. Major causes of debilitating pain include meniscus tears, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, post trauma, ligament tears, and cartilage defects.
Revolutionzing Total Knee Replacement Surgery with '0'(ZERO) Technique at Shalby
Sounds unbelievable! But that is what Shalby Hospitals are globally recognized for. Shalby Hospitals have been carrying out Painless Knee Replacement Surgeries for years now. Patients at Shalby do not go through the traumatic post-op pain thanks to the use of high end technology, the highly rated skills of its surgical team and of course analgesics. Patients from around the world land up at Shalby for Knee replacement based on its success record and the credibility of Dr Vikram Shah and his team of doctors. Dr. Vikram Shah who is spearheading the Knee Replacement team, has experience of carrying out over 16000 Knee Replacement Surgeries and may be rightly termed as “The Knee Guru”.
Dr.Shah is hungry for adopting and incorporating new innovative techniques periodically. The result of his tireless effort & innovation is the introduction of '0'(Zero) technique. This technique is very fast than the earlier one. The surgery time has been reduced to about 8-10 minutes which is a revolution in surgical history. Dr.Shah has infact proved that TKR is a minimally invasive procedure. It is medically proved that the lesser time the patient spends in OT, lesser is the tissue trauma and quicker is the healing. Patients are made to walk within Four hours of surgery to to ensure maximum flexion of muscles and also as a confidence building measure.
At Shalby Hospitals the patients are treated under highly sterile conditions in Class 100 OTs that match the strictest infection control standards. Shalby has also pioneered the use of Surgical Space Suit worn by our surgeons during the surgery to rule out the minutest possibility of an infection. Negative Air pressure in the OTs makes sure that the air outside the complex making the OT completely sterile.
Salient Features of '0'(ZERO) Technique in Knee Replacement
- Quick Knee Surgery in 8 to 10 mins.
- Preplanning of implant selection, instrument selection, aneaesthesia & analgesic process.
- Minimal incision = less exposure of body tissues.
- Less hospital stay
- Less consumption of painkiller and antibiotics.
- Less infaction & side effects.
- Less blood loss.
- Walk within few hours of surgery.
- Less emotional & mental stress on patient & relatives.
- Good flexion of the knee.
- Use of superior quality implants (prosthesis)
- Dedicated team of Physiotherapists
- Quick Post – Surgical Mobilization
- Knee Revision Surgery
- Dedicated team of Physiotherapists
Knee Revision Surgery
Knee revision surgery, which is also known as revision total knee arthroplasty, is a procedure in which the previously implanted artificial knee joint, or prosthesis is removed. It is replaced with a new prosthesis. Knee revision surgery may also involve the use of bone grafts. The bone graft may be an auto graft, which means that the bone is taken from another site in the patient's own body; or an allograft, which means that the bone tissue comes from another donor.
Reasons for Knee Revision Surgery
A knee joint may malfunction or fail due to one or many reasons, some of them may be:
- Aseptic Loosening
- Wear of plastic
- Unstable Joint
Different types of Knee Replacement surgeries
Yes, primarily there are two kinds of Knee replacement surgeries TKR (Total Knee Replacement) and UKR (Unicondylar / Partial Knee Replacement). Knee Replacement surgery can be performed as a partial or a total knee replacement. In general, the surgery consists of replacing the diseased or damaged joint surfaces of the knee with metal and plastic components shaped to allow continued motion of the knee joint. This is termed as Implant or Prosthesis.
Partial Knee Replacement (PKR)
Partial knee replacement, also called ‘unicompartmental knee arthroplasty or unicondylar knee arthroplasty’ is a surgery that may be considered for treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee joint where the complete knee joint does not require replacement. Traditionally, patients have undergone total knee replacement for severe arthritis of the knee joint. In a total knee replacement, all cartilage is removed from the knee joint, and a single metal and plastic implant (prosthesis) is substituted.
Conditions for Partial Knee Replacement
The partial knee surgery may be possible if the arthritis in the knee is confined to a limited area. If the arthritis is widespread, then the partial knee replacement is not the solution. . In addition, the partial knee surgery is recommended in patients who are:
Total Knee Replacement (TKR)
In a Total Knee Replacement procedure, the surgeon removes damaged cartilage and bone from the surface of knee joint and replaces them with metal and plastic. In Total Knee Replacement, the surgeon replaces three parts of the knee joint.
The two parts of the prosthesis are placed onto the ends of the femur, tibia, and undersurface of the patella using a special bone cement. Usually, metal is used on the end of the femur, and plastic is used on the tibia and patella for the new knee surface. However, surgeons are now using newer surfaces, including metal on metal or ceramic on ceramic.
Situations when TKR is helpful
- Pain that limits activities such as walking, climbing stairs and getting in and out of chairs, or even moderate or severe knee pain at rest.
- Restricted knee function or mobility, such as chronic knee stiffness and swelling that prevents one from bending and straightening the knee.
- Failure of other methods to improve symptoms, for example, resting, weight loss, physical therapy, a cane or other walking aid, medications, braces and surgery, but they've failed.
- Knee deformity, such as a joint that bows in or out.
What to expect post TKR surgery?
At Shalby Hospitals, under the expertise and guidance of Dr. Vikram Shah the results of a Total Knee Replacement are excellent.The operation relieves pain in patients, and they need no help walking after full recovery.
Reasons for Failure of Total Knee Replacement (TKR)
Like any other mechanical prosthesis (implant), knee implant also has a failure / malfunction possibility. There are several reasons which attribute to failure of a prosthesis (implant). Some of the major ones are:
- Aseptic Loosening of the joint
- Plastic Wear
- Mal-alignment or Instability of the joint
- Quality of the Implant
At Shalby Hospitals we ensure that the patients are treated under highly sterile conditions. Our Class 100 OTs match the strictest infection control standards, we have pioneered the use of Surgical Space Suit which is worn by our surgeons during the surgery to rule out the minutest possibility of an infection. Negative Air pressure in the OTs makes sure that the air outside the complex making the OT completely sterile.