A doctor by profession and a visionary entrepreneur, Dr. Vikram I. Shah is the founder Chairman & Managing Director of Shalby Hospitals, headquartered at Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
Having acquired professional qualifications – A O Basic from London (UK), F.A.O.A.A. from Switzerland and F.A. S. I.F from Germany, this son of the soil returned to motherland after working with Omskirk & Wrightington Hospital, U.K , Shelby Medical Centre , Hirmingham, Alabama, USA in 1993. His passion for the profession and the urge to serve the ailing millions in home country, prompted him to establish a 6 bed hospital in native town Ahmedabad in1994. Since then there was no looking back.
Under his leadership,We operate a chain of mutlispeicialty hospitals with 8 hospitals which are fully operational and 3 hospitals which have been recently setup. We currently have a total bed capacity of 2012 beds.
- Has been working and contributing for healthcare in India for 21 years
- Invented and popularized “O Technique” in Total Knee Replacement (TKR)
- Revolutionized TKR surgery by reducing surgery time from hours to minutes(10-12 minutes)
- Conducts on an average 600 Joint replacement surgeries a month with his own trained team
- We had a 15% market share of all joint replacement surgeries conducted by private corporate hospitals in India in 2016
- Developed “OS” Needle “which can easily pass through bone and used by surgeons, world wide
- Pioneered to bring laminar air flow and body exhaust systems in OTs to make Joint Replacement surgeries, safe and successful.
- Participated in “The Great Debate 2011” held by Imperial College, London which was chaired by Prof Justin Cobb and delivered lecture on “high Volume Success for Total Knee Replacement Surgery
- A appointed as the consultant by Zimmer Inc which is one of the largest implant manufacturing companies in the world to design an implant which enables the patient to sit on floor, which is the prime requirement of Indian community
- We are one of the most active healthcare players in international medical tourism, having catered to over 35,000 international patients since 2007
- Initiated many CSR Activities including reaching out to the remote rural areas of the nation and conducting more than 600 diagnostic camps & over 500 health awareness talks for prevention of certain diseases.
Awards and Recognitions
- Dr. B C Roy Oration, 2003
- Award from Johnson and Johnson for invention of the” OS” needle
- Appointment on the Board of Designers of Zimmer, manufacturers of prosthetic joints
- Gujarat Innovation Society’s Hercules Award for the innovation of “0” Technique for Joint Replacement Surgeries in 2014
Other Notable Contributions
- Preparing India for the highest number of Joint Replacements in the World
- Indians, especially women are prone to have diseases of the bone and joints like osteoporosis and osteoarthritis
- Prevalence of arthritis in this age group in India is 40%
- More than 250 million people suffering from arthritis
- At present less than 5% of arthritic patients seeking medical advice are offered surgical treatment (Source: Frost and Sullivan)
- With increased awareness and accessibility to better health care more and more people may opt for surgical treatment
With increasing population and patients, it has been predicted that India may be the home for the highest number of joint replacement surgeries per year in the world in a decade or two